HomeAbout MoiMy EtsyDIYMy Studio

Monday, June 9, 2014

DIY Wall Clock-Turned-Shadowbox....

Have you seen JDL’s Issue #5? As always, inspiration abounds. I was especially inspired by their “Wall Clocks-Turned-Shadowbox” feature. So lovely! I decided to try my hand at one of my own. This clock has been sitting in storage for quite some time now. I removed the back and all the internal components. Easy peasy as the clock face is actually a thick piece of cardboard and it was stapled to the clock frame. Needle-nose pliers did the trick!


I then painted it with my new favorite color by Valspar called “Metropolis.” It’s a beautiful “blue grey.” Don't worry about the paint on the glass, just use a razor blade to remove it. Of course, you could always use painters tape and skip the razor blade part. 

 Here’s what it looked like after I painted it. I thought it needed a little something “extra” so.... 


...I dug this old curtain pinback out of my studio stash....
 ....the pin in the back made it easy to gently hammer it into the wood frame. It too got a quick coat of paint and...
...voila! 


I decided not to add a backing to the frame so I can easily change out the vignette. 

I love how it turned out.  

Check out Issue #5 of JDL  for more inspiration!


Disclaimer: JDL did not pay or reimburse me in any way for this “plug.” 
I just love the magazine.




13 comments:

  1. Pretty! I really like the embellishment you added too. I even saw one of those cardboard clock faces for sale in a second-hand shop yesterday, so maybe you will find a purpose for that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful, I love that paint color! Di@Cottage-Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. ......uh yea! page 82! I am a newbie to JDL mag...just received my 3rd issue....where has this been all my life I say??? you did a beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is TOO cool Michelle. I LOVE it! I love that color you painted it and who but you would have thought of the little pin added to it :)!!!
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful and creative transformation. I love the color and especially the contents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Michelle, I saw that issue and loved those clock shadow boxes too. I just love the color you used. That's my favorite magazine, so full of beauty and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    So gorgeous. Love the color. What a beautiful transformation.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome that you just happened to have an old clock hanging around....I guess deep down you knew that someday you'd find use...and WOW...it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, it looks amazing. Now here is the funny thing - I have the exact same clock only in a white limed finish. My parents gave it to us as a gift around 30 years ago from Pottery Barn. I've been looking for a new clock to replace it for in our sitting room and guess what??? You have certainly inspired me :-)
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, just wow! No words to describe how beautiful that is! Definitely one of your prettiest makeovers! Where do you get JDL magazine?

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  11. A stunning vignette frame and incredibly genius of you to be able to switch it out. Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle,
    An amazing transformation of a repurposed accessory, dear friend!!!
    Love the grey hue!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful makeover! I love the new color. It's so soft and feminine.

    ReplyDelete

Taking the time to share your thoughts...your words...and your inspiration fills my soul....Merci.
~*~Michelle~*~